Sunday, November 4, 2012

Author Jamie Marchant Interview

Hi all!
 Please help me welcome the most excellent author Jamie Marchant to my blog today. She is the author of The Goddess's Choice.
Here is her interview:

Tell me a bit about yourself:

From early childhood, I’ve been immersed in books. My mother was an avid reader and read to us, and my older sister filled my head with fairy tales. When I was about six, I started writing stories about the Man from Mars for my older sister. I devoured every book I could get my hands on, and I wrote my first fantasy  novel while in high school—not that it was publishable. Taking into consideration my love for literature and the challenges of supporting myself as a writer, I pursued a Ph.D. in American literature, which I received in 1998. I started teaching writing and literature at Auburn University and discovered the excitement of teaching. But in doing so, I put my true passion on the backburner and neglected my muse. Instead, for a few years, I wrote literary criticism. Then one day, in the midst of writing a critical piece, I realized I had no interest in doing so. What I wanted to do was write novels. My muse thus revived, I began the book that was to become The Goddess’s Choice.  I now have an entire series planned.

Now, I live in Auburn, Alabama, with my husband, son, and four cats, which, I’m told, officially makes me a cat lady. I still teach writing and literature at Auburn University.

What type of genre do you write?

I write fantasy, primarily. Mostly novels, although I’ve had short stories published in World of Myth, Bards & Sages, and Short-Story.me. They are all available for free on my website. I have an idea for a historical novel about my great-great grandmother after whom I was named, but I haven’t started it yet.

What genre do you personally read?

I mostly read fantasy, Mercedes Lackey and Jim Butcher being two of my favorite authors. Occasionally, I’ll pick up a crime drama.

Tell me about your latest book:

The novel is set in the kingdom of Korthlundia and focuses on the despised youngest son of a farmer—whom I’ve named Robbie—and Samantha, the crown princess of the realm. Half of the novel revolves Robbie’s quest to rise above his mistreatment and learn what it means to be the most powerful healer Korthlundia has seen in centuries. The other half involves Samantha, who has the ability to see auras—colors which surround everyone and reveal their character. She struggles with her own problems—by magical means, a vile duke has enslaved the mind of her beloved father, the king, to either force her into marriage or usurp her throne. The two tales become increasingly intertwined. To save their own lives and stop the realm from sinking into civil war, Robbie and Samantha must join forces and unite the people behind them.

Where is your book available?

It is available of Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com and directly from the publisher at Reliquarypress.com. It is also available in a couple of local bookstores in Auburn, Alabama.

Where you live and one thing you love about it

I live in Auburn, Alabama, although I come from the West. One thing I truly love about the South is the riot of the flowers in the spring. Nothing is more beautiful.

Website:

jamie-marchant.com

What sparked your passion for books and the art of a good story?

My mother read to me as a child, and as soon as I was old enough to read to myself, took us to the library every couple of weeks. She encouraged my reading and saw to it that I was always supplied with books.

Is there a particular book that changed or affected your life in a big way?

No single book, but as a teenager, the novels of Piers Anthony, Roger Zelazny, and Stephen R. Donaldson introduced me to the realms of fantasy; that has affected the direction of my reading and writing since.

What was the seed of inspiration for your latest book?

The Goddess's Choice  originates deep within my childhood. My sister Jalane--she is ten years older than me--would tell me stories, fairy tales mostly:  "Midas and His Golden Touch," "Little Red Riding Hood," "Hanzel and Gretel." But my favorite was always "The Princess and the Glass Hill" or "The Glass Mountain" as my sister titled it. I had her tell that story over and over again. I was captivated by the bold hero on his magical horses of bronze, silver, and gold. 

When I had a child of my own, I wanted to pass that fairy tale on. My son, Jesse, loved it every bit as much as I had. One day after telling it to him, it came to me that the story could be so much more than five pages and sparse details. However, I didn’t want to write a children’s story but the type of epic fantasy I enjoy as an adult. I upped the dramatic tension, villainy, and sexuality of the piece to create something far different than the original fairy tale. The Goddess’s Choice is intended for an adult audience.

Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?

Yes, that anger and harboring the desire for revenge hurts you more than those you are angry at. They will suffer for their bad actions without any effort on your part, and your bitterness only warps your own soul. It is a lesson Robbie has to learn.

What challenges have you faced in your writing career?

The biggest challenge was to get away from literary criticism and back to writing fiction. Then, of course, I have faced the usual challenges of finding a publisher for my work and the much bigger challenge of promoting it.

What has been your best moment as a writer?

Putting the finishing touches on The Goddess’s Choice and being able to say that it truly was done. Either that or the email from Reliquary Press saying they wanted to publish it!

Who is your author idol?

Mercedes Lackey. I’ve always said that I wanted to be her when I grow up.

Do you see yourself in any of your characters?

I want to see myself in Samantha. She is a strong woman who knows what she wants and how to go about getting it, but I’m probably more like Blaine, Samantha’s personal secretary. He embarrasses easily and is socially awkward.

Do you feel like your dream has come true or is there much more to do?

There is more. The novel is out there, but I need to get into the hands of more readers. I also need to finish the trilogy.

What is your personal cure for procrastination?

Procrastination has never been too much of a problem for me. It produces far too much anxiety.

What does your workspace look like?

I lie back on the sofa with my laptop propped up on my knees. I hate sitting at a desk. Unfortunately, the floor around my sofa is usually littered with dishes, books, and pervious drafts of whatever I’m working on.

Have you ever had a day when you just wanted to quit?

Not really. Every since I came back to writing fiction, I’ve been so happy to be doing so that I can’t imagine not writing.

What do you do when you’re not writing?

I teach writing and literature, and I read voraciously both to myself and to my son, who as a teenager still likes to listen to me read.

What are the most important attributes to remaining sane as a writer?

I don’t know. My login name on many internet sites is maddwoman, and I fear it may not be a misnomer.

What was the greatest thing you learned at school?

The importance of reading.

Did you have a moment when you realized you were meant to be a writer?

Yes, when I was struggling with a literary criticism piece on Willa Cather. I turned from it and started writing The Goddess’s Choice. It flowed so much more easily, and I knew that was the type of writing I was meant to do.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

First, read a lot. You can’t be a writer without being an avid reader first. Second, don’t give up. If you’ve truly written something of worth, you will find a place for it.

After this book, what is next? More series and others.

The sequel, tentatively titled The Soul Stone, is nearly finished. Then there is the third volume of the trilogy and another book set in the same world but outside the trilogy that focuses on the character of Darhour, the captain of Samantha’s personal guard. I also have an urban fantasy novel in the works, titled The Bull Riding Witch.


I actually sat down and read her book and it was amazing! I loved everything about it! Here's my review:
The Goddess’s Choice, by Jamie Marchant was a delightful book of magic, romance, action, sorcery and corruption. Ms. Marchant weaves a story that takes twists and turns and leaves you rooting for the good side against the evil invaders. Her story of two star-crossed lovers and their journey towards each other can only be paralleled by the infamous Romeo and Juliet. She writes in a way so that the reader can actually picture each and every scene and place themselves within it. She evokes emotions from the reader, making you cheer on the ruling crowd at the end. Her wonderfully crafted story is a page turner. Leave yourself time to read it as you won’t want to put it down when you start.
When Robbie, the black haired, green eyed ‘demon’ child finds out he’s an amihealer, he pushes aside his fear of his father and brother and demand to be treated equal to a farm hand. After meeting a beautiful Lady Samantha, he dreams of one day being with her again. She is the only person that’s ever been nice to him. He learns of his true heritage and is kidnapped for his potential of healing and magic. While on the run, mystic horses appear to him and train him in the ways of his ‘destiny’. Lady Samantha, or should I say, Princess Samantha, heir to the throne sees auras of people and thinks she is going mad. She too yearns for Robbie. After Robbie and Samantha meet again, he learns who she is and he knows he will never have her. There is corruption within the palace in an attempt to marry Samantha to a man who can take over the throne with her though it is a Matriarchal society. Goddess Sulis dictates Samantha is the ruler and her betrothed is the consort but every man in the kingdom wants to be that consort. A game is arranged to help provide the consort as Samantha refuses to pick a man to marry. Will Robbie partake in that game? Will he win? Will Samantha find happiness and forced to marry someone she doesn’t love? If they find each other, how will the road to happiness be paved? With flowers or bodies? Will the corruption within the walls of the kingdom keep the Princess from her own throne? What atrocities will she have to face in the end?

Please thank her for joining us today and check out her book! You can reach her at:
Email: jamie-marchant@jamie-marchant.com
Website: http://jamie-marchant.com/
Blog: http://jamie-marchant.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamie-Marchant-Author/164706710298768?ref=hl
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RobrekSamantha
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5258855.Jamie_Marchant

Keep Reading!
Jodie Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment